Memorandum for Publication.
I published my first book five years ago (called Herai and I like it) and I’m trying to publish the second one now (Damon Ich pronounced “Damn on Ick”) – even though it was pretty well written when the first one was published. Why did it take so long, I hear you ask?
Illness and a lack of funds are the honest answer. I was hoping after the first one was published to make enough money to contribute to the cost of publishing the second. It was a forlorn hope!
In fact I can safely say that the taxman will be waiting a long time if he is hoping for me to help boost the public purse.
But any way, I have saved up my pennies and it is time to tackle the publishing minefield again. I promised that I would write myself a list, so here it is, perserved in digital form so I can’t lose it and perhaps it may be useful to others. Tasks with estimated author input time.
- Write a book (?2 weeks to 20 years)
- Get a manuscript critique.
- Edit the shit out of said book (1 to 5 years)
- Get a proper editor in (1 month) but book well in advance.
- Check the edits and produce the perfect manuscript (3 weeks?)
- Get the cover design going (c. 1 day)
- Send the perfect manuscript to formatters (if using)
- Enter details into KDP for ISBN if paperbacking. Needs to be on the cover and inside information.
- Remember the 4 or so pages before the book starts, dedication, author description, other books written, title. (1 day)
- Remember the few pages after the book ends, the exhortation to review, the building excitement about the next book. (1 day)
- Write a book description. This needs to go on the cover as well as in the KDP details.(1 week?)
- Tagline or review quote for the front of the cover (1 day)
- Check the formatted document. Get files and store them somewhere SAFE
- Check the cover. Get files and store them somewhere SAFE.
- Enter all the details into KDP.
- If Paperbacking, order trial copies to make sure they are perfect and if so publish the book, paperback and e-book.
I have a feeling that some people don’t go through all these stages, and one day I may be fly enough to be one of them but for now this is my memorandum. Until I remember anything I’ve forgotten.
Damon Ich should be available in the next few weeks, xmas and pandemic allowing.
Get it while it’s hot!